UPM, Kaipola Mill
Paper Mill and Wastewater Treatment Plant General Information
Kaipola Paper Mill:
- Paper Mill Production Capacity 705 000 ADt/a.
- Three papermachines (LWC, SC and newsprint).
- Largest Deinking Mill in Finland.
Wastewater Treatment Plant:
- Effluent flow, Q 30 000 – 34 000 m3/d
- Incoming effluent temperature 41 – 42 °C, occasionally 47 °C
- Maximum volume of Equalization basin 25 000 m3
- Level of water varies between 1,5 – 4 m
From Kaipola the treated effluent is discharged directly to lake Päijänne. The whole Helsinki region, more than 1 million people, gets its drinking water from lake Päijänne.
EQ basin before Installation of AIRIT Aerator
- Equalization basin was equipped with 8 units of O.K.I aerator mixers for aeration and mixing (22 kW motor/unit + one 37 kW compressor on waterfront).
- Mixing was inadequate and sludge was settling in the basin.
- Problems occured causing strong odors.
- There was a major need for efficient aerating and mixing equipment.
Equalization basin at the present time
The Mill wanted to secure the EQ basins adequate mixing, aeration and cooling in autumn 2009
At the present time in the EQ basin, there are 13 units of AIRIT 700 aerators to give the following benefits:
- Efficient mixing profile
- Aeration capacity has notably increased in the Equalization basin due to AIRIT ° aerators
- 13 x AIRIT 700 cool down wastewater with 9 °C to a temperature of 38 °C at a water flow of 370 l/s
Aerators were installed in December 2009.
Cooling of wastewater
The Mill has to cool the wastewater approximately 5 months during summer time. Incoming wastewater is max 47 °C.
- Wastewater was cooled with two GEA cooling towers equipped with 45 kW fans and 22 kW pumps
AT THE PRESENT TIME
- 13 AIRIT 700 aerators cool the wastewater also in the warmest time of the year to 37 – 38 °C
Energy Cost Savings
ENERGY CONSUMPTION BEFORE
- Cooling towers used energy in summer 249 840 kWh/month (fans 2 x 45 kW + pumps 2 x 22 kW + aerators 8 x 22 kW and 1 x 37 kW)
- Aerators used energy in winter 153 360 kWh/month
ENERGY CONSUMPTION AT THE PRESENT TIME
- AIRIT 700 -aerators use energy in summer 149 760 kWh/month
- AIRIT 700 -aerators use energy in winter 102 960 kWh/month
- AIRIT aerators are in AC drive control so energy consumption is even lower than above
- Old cooling towers are no longer used at all, not even on hot summertime
ENERGY SAVINGS ARE AT LEAST 853 200 kWh/YEAR AND WATERIX PRODUCT’S PAY-BACK TIME IS LESS THAN 3 YEARS.
A need at UPM Kaipola mill’s Equalization basin to improve:
With Waterix AIRIT 700 aerators the Mill is able to improve simultaneously both equalization basin problem areas with less energy consumption. Old cooling towers are no longer used.